What We Do – Bamboo Micro Credit (Inc) operates in the following manner:
- Provides no-interest loans only to poor people who cannot access funding.
- Makes loans available only for commencing or expanding viable businesses.
- Does not charge any interest as all funds are donated.
- Charges a small once-only administrative charge to cover expenses.
- Allows flexible repayments.
- Supports and encourages business development, especially of environmentally friendly projects.
- Encourages community development through micro credit, by supporting local communities.
- Conducts regular audits, checks and balances to ensure transparency and honesty.
Operations – How We Function; Our Method for Maximizing Success:
- We make it clear that repayment of the loan is expected.
- We work through local organisations who manage the loans for us.
- Borrowers are carefully assessed.
- Flexibility of repayment is encouraged … we know that things do not always go according to plan.
- Our local managers maintain contact with borrowers, so they know what is happening.
- We understand, and are familiar with, the communities where we operate.
- Bamboo Australia representatives visit communities regularly.
Where we operate
- Malang, East Java
- Bukittinggi, West Sumatra
- Jogyakarta, Central Java
- (New locations with new Yayasans and fresh in-country partnerships soon to be announced)
How we plan for the future:
- The Bamboo Board of Directors holds regular Board meetings in Perth, Western Australia.
- Directors meet in-country at conferences in Indonesia in conjunction with our Yayasans and Agents.
- Bamboo holds public events in Australia where we explain our message, and where we listen to members and interested onlookers about ways to improve our operations.